Help Me Fundraise

Sponsor GeekGal's fund raising!

HELP END BLOOD CANCER

Wednesday 30 March 2016

Two months to go

I ran the 10K Winterman on Valentine's Day. They changed the start time to a later time due to the extreme cold forecast. So I think it might have been a degree or two warmer than last years, but still very, very cold. This year the sun was shining though, and there was very little snow across the road, so overall a better race. I was the last runner to cross the finish. One of the volunteers on bike kept me company for pretty much the entire last out and back 5K. I had to walk a lot as the cold triggered my cough. Still, I finished in faster time than last year, and I finished!  So that's really all I ask for.


The pic to the left is me before the race, wearing  three layers on my top, four on my bottom, with base layer on my head. There are two more top layers on the back of the chair (down filled running jacket and a windbreaker), and another hat, down-filled mittens, and face mask in the plastic bag. I was definitely prepared for the cold!

There are just 2 months left before my next half marathon, on May 29th. It seems like a lot, but I know that the training has to be in earnest  now in order to be prepared. The time will go by very quickly.

I am still working with a personal trainer 2 days a week. We do strength training with some cardio. I always finish with at least another 15 min of cardio.  I try to run 1-2 times during the week in addition to my long run. At least now the clocks have changed and I can run after work when I get home as its still light out most days. I feel overall much stronger and I believe its showing in my runs so far.


For the first time, on Easter weekend, I was able to run 10k without the need for a walk break!  This is a huge milestone for me. Not only that, but I did the distance at a faster pace than I have in the past. I am going to keep pushing myself to run without walking as I go farther and farther.  I am sure to walk during the race at the water stations, but hopefully not a lot or for all of them :)

I am excited that spring is finally here. Sure, the weather is being temperamental still, but the geese and the robins are back, snow is almost gone, and the days are getting longer! I always feel the most energized in the spring. I am hoping it serves me well with the training and the race. I can't wait to get out on my bicycle again too. I have plans to get up to 50K+ rides this year on my hybrid wheels. Maybe next year I will invest in a road bike too, but for now I will stay on the rural roads around my home and be thankful for the suspension and wider tires.

My fundraising is going much slower this time around than before. Truthfully, I have been so busy that I am not pushing it as hard as last time either. I will send out some more reminders, and a few tweets and posts on Facebook, and I know that I will make the goal. If you can spare even a few dollars to help the cause, it would be much appreciated!




No comments:

Post a Comment